July 26, 2026 a thought for today, A good heart breaks bad fortune. Spanish Proverb
Photos in my life yesterday
The first challenge was “on the bench”. The bench being one of the terms for “counter”. This is the load of groceries that I have to put away yet.
The second assignment was “red, white, and ?”. This is my red, white and
blue. I have the flag in the corner of my dining room. I see it and honor it everyday even inside.
Life today. I don’t know how I did it but I had the base of this letter off to a good start and even had all four photos for the day cataloged and ready for upload. I had that all done before it was time to get ready for church.
One of my sites was giving me trouble both yesterday and up to the last minute this morning. It was my Fine Art America site. It wouldn’t load and I got a message that said they were doing some service work and to try again later. I tried several times between other work then again about fifteen minutes before leaving for church, then it loaded.
I had an invitation to go to lunch but ended up not going. The chosen place to go is to loud, people yelling, loud music and dishes clattering. It is a little unnerving and, for me, uncomfortable especially on Sunday. Just doesn’t seem respectful.
Since I was able to get so much accomplished before church there is even less on my agenda for this Sunday so I will be playing with a new place on line that I can get other backgrounds for some of my “photo art work” side of things. I think I will use it for my “textured over lays” and some of my “still life” some of the time. But it’s new to me and I want to see what more is on the site.
While I was coming awake (hypnopompic state) this morning thinking about the results of having a love and dislike feeling at the same time and how to handle it in a Christian way. Just one of those quirky things that are some how triggered to pop into my head now and then.
The word to ponder today is bring. Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. John Wilmot. The undertaking of a new action brings new strength. Evenius. Never refuse any advance of friendship, for if nine out of ten bring you nothing, one alone may repay you. Madame de Tencin. Reveal not every secret you have to a friend, for how can you tell but that friend may hereafter become an enemy. And bring not all mischief you are able to upon an enemy, for he may one day become your friend. Saadi. First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others. Thomas a Kempis. Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. Ralph Waldo Emerson. Cease to ask what the morrow will bring forth. And set down as gain each day that Fortune grants. Horace. The measure of a master is his success in bringing all men around to his opinion twenty years later. Ralph Waldo Emerson. A generation of men is like a generation of leaves; the wind scatters some leaves upon the ground, while others the burgeoning wood brings forth - and the season of spring comes on. So of men one generation springs forth and another ceases. Homer. Nobody likes the man who brings bad news. Sophocles. Haste in every business brings failures. Herodotus. History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illumines reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life and brings us tidings of antiquity. Cicero. It takes a long time to bring excellence to maturity. Publilius Syrus. I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them the real facts. Abraham Lincoln.
Article summary. I like looking at different opinions, some academic and some common sense, on things that affect our happiness, our growth to wisdom and our caring for each other. This is what I came up with for today. The word facts, opinions and particularly the word and meaning of truth interest me. The title is Facts are not always more important than opinions: here’s why. Peter Ellerton, Lecturer in Critical Thinking, The University of Queensland. At theconversation.com. It begins by saying that some see opinions as being more important than fact. It explains that not all facts are true but doesn’t “devalue” knowledge. In my reading this is was confusing to me so I have to wrestle with it. The thing behind this is “what we think are facts – that is, those things we think are true – can end up being wrong”. It explains that facts can change, that’s my hang up. So I moved on. Calling something a fact is “to represent the best knowledge we have at any given time”. The article moves on to a point and says “if we think of an opinion as one person’s view on a subject, then many opinions can be solid”. So to make that “clearer in our meaning if we separate things into matters of fact and matters of opinion”. Matters of fact are “verifiable by observation, direct experience, rather than theory”. Matters of opinion “rely on logical reasoning (questioning), definitions, or subjective values” (personal preference). The article comes to a point of ethics. Facts cannot decide a course of actions. It goes further with saying that “opinions are not just pale shadows of facts; they are judgements and conclusions”. In the closing it is stated that facts and opinions “have complementary functions in our decision-making”, ending with the author saying “they are equally useful. But that’s just my opinion – it’s not a fact.”
I think maybe DoorDash tonight for dinner.
Photos in my life today
The next challenge is “including a beach”. This is my son so many years ago when he was in the military.
on the buildings. I also like the lines of the bent sign pole.
Joy
this bonus image is one from my archives when my house plants were much more in abundance is uploaded to a Fine Art America contest
want to shop? Visit: fineartamerica.com search for joy rector click on “view shop” and redbubble.com search for jarector (and take a look at flickr.com search for rectorjoyce)







No comments:
Post a Comment