Monday, September 7, 2026

September 6, 2026 a thought for today, The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected. Swedish Proverb

Photos in my life yesterday



The first challenge was “out the window”. This is Bobbi again as my model. She is often looking out this window. She will be seen in several photos of this nature. 




The next assignment was “fence or gate”. I was looking for a fence or gate that would be a bit different from the good old chain link or a wooden privacy fence. I found this one in my neighborhood. 



The last upload for yesterday was “a pair”. I used my eye glasses as the “pair”. To give it a bit more substance I used the Message Bible as its background. 

Life today. Church was refreshing today. Everyone who was away last week were back along with a couple of visitors. The message was enlightening. The hymns had for me their usual mini sermon message, though one was a little too long. Also, it was the time for renewal in communion. 

The weather is typical for September, signs of changes beginning in the air. Upcoming time for nature to rest.

I accomplished some “easy going” tasks (not too much, this being Sunday) before leaving for church. I needed some glue for a project I am starting, things, little tokens, I want to make for friends at Christmas. It takes me a while, my hands are not getting younger, they don’t hold things the way they use to. The glue I was using a year ago is dried up. I needed to make a stop for a new bottle of glue. 

The smart tv is still giving my sister and me a time of learning in the trial and error kind of way. When we were kids, eons ago, you just pushed a button or turned a knob on the box with moving picture and stories, now not so much wayyyy not so much! I thought technology was supposed to make things easier??? Now there are passwords and pin numbers to get what you are looking for. 

The rest of the day is reflect, renew and refresh. I may take some time to “study” on ideas I want to expand on in my writings and photos.

The word to ponder today is delight. He had occasional flashes of silence, that made his conversation perfectly delightful. Sydney Smith. In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity. Ralph Waldo Emerson. Energy is eternal delight. William Blake. You teach your daughters the diameters of the planets and wonder when you are done that they do not delight in your company. Samuel Johnson. Never find your delight in another's misfortune. Publilius Syrus. Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed. Seneca. The pleasures which we most rarely experience give us the greatest delight. Desiderius Erasmus. Cowards are cruel, but the brave Love mercy, and delight to save. John Gay. Danger and delight grow on one stalk. English Proverb. By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. In fact, it is as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of others as it is to invent. Ralph Waldo Emerson. Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight. Marcus Aurelius Antoninus. Perhaps the most delightful friendships are those in which there is much agreement, much disputation, and yet more personal liking. George Eliot. Books should to one of these fours ends conduce, for wisdom, piety, delight, or use. Sir John Denham. The Word of God is a lamp by night, a light by day, and a delight at all times. Charles Spurgeon. Man is a poetical animal, and delights in fiction. William Hazlitt. For imitation is natural to man from his infancy. Man differs from other animals particularly in this, that he is imitative, and acquires his rudiments of knowledge in this way; besides, the delight in it is universal. Aristotle. In the presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows. Ralph Waldo Emerson. 

Article summary. The part of the article title that caught my attention was “caring for creation” and as related to a farmer poet. The title is Farmer poet Wendell Berry’s environmental ethics were deeply rooted in his Christian faith and belief in caring for creation. Kristy Nabhan-Warren, Elizabeth Kahl Figge Chair in Catholic Studies, University of Iowa. At theconversation.com. It opened by introducing the “poet-farmer”. He was 92 years old. As he began his farming career, he started with draft horses and all along preferred them to diesel-powered tractors, using methods that “embraced the land” and environmental stewardship. He loved to write about “rural American life” which included taking care for the land as he lived “practicing what he preached”. The article stated that he was a “firm” Christian Baptist. It was said about him that he believed in “creation care” or the “God given right to exploit the Earth’s resources”.The author as a teacher taught students from Mr. Berry’s book called “Jayber Crow”. It was used in a liberal arts course to teach “about small-town living, religion and community”. Later on he used some of Mr. Berry’s thoughts in researching for a book “modern-day agriculture”. In that research he learned more about the how Berry critiqued “agripower,” as showing little regard for the fertility of the soil or the “health, wisdom, thrift, or stewardship of the farming community.” Moving on in the article it mentioned Mr. Berry’s poems. They are in the nature of fiction and nonfiction concerning “consuming less and living more communally”. His works seem to help “popularize family-run farms, organic farming and farm-to-table eating establishments”. In 1977 Mr. Berry wrote a piece called  “The Unsettling of America” in which he mentioned his admiration for the Amish life style who “forgoes” modern conveniences and focuses on family and the Christian notion of stewardship for the land we share. As the article went on it mentioned that Mr. Berry “encouraged” people “whether or not they identified as Christian or as religious” to consider technology and the “impact on the environment” as the Amish do. The poems and other writings led toward focus to be on need nor want. The author ends by saying it is his hope that “Wendell Berry’s legacy will have a long and fruitful afterlife”.

I think I will try a new recipe for bean soup for dinner. 

Photos in my life today


My first upload today is "withered". It is my last store bought bouquet. It has about had its run and is beginning to give up. 





The next challenge is “something I’ll eat”. I am always up for a fish sandwich. McDonald has a pretty good tasting one and convenient too. 





The last assignment is “hot”. I put a lot of thought into how to display a word like hot into an image. I had used some strong sunlight forming great shadows. I also heated up water and tested a meat thermometer and a candy thermometer for this shot. I chose a portion of the candy thermometer. 


Joy

the bonus image is one on the gallery wall at my church. On the attached placard I have written: Sketched Mixed Bouquet of Flowers, God's creative, boundless grace, fleeting beauty of earthly life, colors, shapes, and fragrances, beautiful display of God’s love, each petal with deliberate care, light and shadow, joyful seasons and quiet, shadowed valley, The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever. Each blossom a life offered like sweet incense before the throne of grace 

want to shop? Visit: fineartamerica.com search for joy rector click on “view shop”  and redbubble.com search for jarector (and take a look at flickr.com search for rectorjoyce) 



No comments:

Post a Comment