August 13, 2026, A thought for the day, The best cloth has uneven threads. Spanish Proverb
Photos in my life yesterday
The first challenge was “metallic”. I was waiting in a pick up line and saw these cars in the rear view mirror. I decided to use them for this challenge.
is one of the resurrection lilies that half fallen off the stem in one of the heavy rain fall.
Life today. Yesterday Lowell and Louanna picked me up for an early dinner. We went to Olive Garden. It was nice to spend time with them and the baked salmon was great.
As planned, I got the printing done yesterday, a day early. I attended the funeral service of a church friend. It was a nice service. When I left there, I picked up some medicine for Sue. I drove by McDonalds for a sandwich but the line was way too long. So I went by Wendy’s. The line was long there too. So I came on home for a peanut butter sandwich and potato chips. I also got the laundry started.
I had managed to take the photos I need before I left for the funeral so when I got home and had put the laundry in the washer I started processing the images.
It seems the rain has let up. The past few days it has been more than just wet. Today the sun is bright and the air is warm. There are a lot of people in the area cleaning up from a lot of damage left from the storms.
I got a small smart tv for my room but I haven’t had a minute to set it up. From what I understand setting up a Smart TV is a little more to it than just plugging it in. Hopefully I will have time to spent working on it sometime soon. I will be taking Sue to a doctor’s appointment tomorrow. And next week is the “busy” week of the month, not much free time then.
The word to ponder today is consequence. What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do. John Ruskin. Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences. No good is ever done in this world by hesitation. Thomas H. Huxley. When anger rises, think of the consequences. Confucius. There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences. Robert Ingersoll. Our repentance is not so much regret for the ill we have done as fear of the ill that may happen to us in consequence. Francois de La Rochefoucauld. Indolence is sweet, and its consequences bitter. Voltaire. How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it. Marcus Aurelius. What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly - that is the first law of nature. Voltaire. The immortality of the soul is a matter which is of so great consequence to us and which touches us so profoundly that we must have lost all feeling to be indifferent about it. Blaise Pascal. Kindness is the sunshine in which virtue grows. Robert Green Ingersoll. It is of no consequence of what parents a man is born, as long as he be a man of merit. Horace. Happiness is not a reward - it is a consequence. Suffering is not a punishment - it is a result. Robert Green Ingersoll. Consequences are unpitying. George Eliot. Everybody, soon or late, sits down to a banquet of consequences. Robert Louis Stevenson.
Article summary. I have always been interested in the concept of gardening on a roof top. There was one that I visited a few years ago here on top of the old Lazarus store and I think there is one on an OSU parking facility. I have also read about some in congested living spaces like in New York. A great way to keep nature alive even surrounded by brick and mortar. The title is Green roofs can help cool cities in the summer heat, but building them is only the first step – many don’t survive. Taylor Wishart, Ph.D. Student in Environmental Science, University of Tennessee. At theconversation.com. It began by mentioning the record-breaking heat we have this season than had been this years. It went on to say “one way to help cool buildings is to install green roofs” with plants as they are capable of absorbing heat. They said that when planning the roof garden it is wise to take into account it’s maintenance. Many such roof gardens haven’t survived due to the lack of proper maintenance. They differ from a typical roof as they are made up of layers, insulations, water proofing and drainage. With the proper design they can “support everything from low-growing sedums to shrubs and trees”. The article talks about one in New Yorks Rockefeller Center. It was designed in the 1930s. There are trees, grass and shrubs along with seating. There is another in the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. More than decorative plantings they can supply heat to the building below. They can cool with what is called “evapotranspiration” when they give off water vapor. They can also “reduce the amount of energy” needed for heating and cooling processes. They capture rainfall which helps in things that involve Strom drains as well a reducing flood thereby improving water quality. They have helped in “urban heat islands”, along with allowing birds, buttereflies and helpful insects new places to live. Many cities “recognize the public benefits that green roofs can give”. Problems do come according to the article when these cities build the roof garden without enough thought and action on the area of maintenance. One of the things that come of with that would involve poor maintenance is if and when the building property changes ownership. So it appears the biggest drawback to roof top gardens as mentioned before complete thought to maintenance and how it may change through the years. “Communities may need to think beyond incentives for construction”. It seems to me they should consider the benefits against the consequences. It looks to me that in most cases benefits would outweigh the consequences.
I may make spaghetti for dinner.
Photos in my life today
The next assignment is another of the “my choice” and another of my “still life”. It is one of the pink carnations on my black platter.
bought bouquets.
Joy
the bonus photos is Bobbi and was added to a contest at Fine Art America
want to shop? Visit: fineartamerica.com search for joy rector click on “view shop” and redbubble.com search for jarector (and take a look at flickr.com search for rectorjoyce)







No comments:
Post a Comment