August 19, 2026 a thought for today, An hour lost is often a year lost. Swedish Proverb
Photos in my life yesterday
Life today. My bimonthly meeting was last night. It is an early meeting which are the kind I like but because it is at 5:00 there is a bit of a situation with dinner. I have it worked out so that it all fits on my kind of agenda. It went smoothly and was only just over an hour long, just the right kind.
It’s been one of those days. I got side tracked with looking up things to get started on some of the newer things on my agenda, more on those at another time. “I am late, I am late for a very important date” right now. The bulletin and accompanying things are ready for the Thursday morning things.
I did get this letter started before I left for food pantry. I did not have any of the photos ready for upload. I think the photo uploads will have to wait until tomorrow after the scheduled printing. The newsletter has defiantly been put on hold until next week. That makes it earlier to get this week done.
Sue surprised me today. She seemed strong enough to go out on her own to run a couple of errands. She was out for a couple of hours. She says she didn’t have any problems. I am hoping this is a sign she can be feeling some of the independence she wants and needs.
The word to ponder today is content. Who is rich? He that is content. Who is that? Nobody. Benjamin Franklin. Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it. Samuel Johnson. If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Sir Francis Bacon. Quarrel not at all. No man resolved to make the most of himself can spare time for personal contention. Abraham Lincoln. Content thyself to be obscurely good. When vice prevails, and impious men bear sway, the post of honor is a private station. Joseph Addison. Who is wise? He that learns from every One. Who is powerful? He that governs his Passions. Who is rich? He that is content. Who is that? Nobody. Benjamin Franklin. Be content with your lot; one cannot be first in everything. Aesop. Wealth is the parent of luxury and indolence, and poverty of meanness and viciousness, and both of discontent. Plato. Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech cantankerous. Chuang-tzu. A contented mind is the best source for trouble. Titus Maccius Plautus. A contented mind is a continual feast. American Proverb. I have learned, in whatever state I am ,therewith to be content. Epistle of Paul. This is the last of earth! I am content. John Quincy Adams. A harvest of peace is produced from a seed of contentment. American Proverb. To be deceived by our enemies or betrayed by our friends in insupportable; yet by ourselves we are often content to be so treated. Francois De La Rochefoucauld. He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have. Socrates.
Article summary. I was stuck in my thinking with the word respect when I discovered this message. I decided to take a look to see how it fit my definition of respect. I thought maybe there would be some “Easter eggs” for more thought and consideration of other feeling and results of such. The title is “ ‘Hello, just circling back!’ Not responding to emails is common across higher education but bad for morale”. Austin Sarat, William Nelson Cromwell Professor of Jurisprudence and Political Science, Amherst College. At thcconversation.com. The article began by mentioning that the author had sent out two set of emails to his college students and to peers. Out o the twenty-two emails he sent out he got two responses. Email is a “default mode of communication in colleges, workplaces and many other areas of life.” Email is now the default mode of communication in colleges and universities, as well as across most workplaces and other areas of life. Unanswered emails have become as regular a feature of academic life. As mentioned there may be good reasons not to reply it may have gone to spam or was not seen for several hours. It was further related that no response in some cases may lead to “negative consequences” and possibly disrespect. One thing that may enter the picture is that there is also texting that is somewhat easier than email. I learned from this article was that in some colleges and universities there are websites to help people “navigate” email. One of the colleges mentioned the Miami University of Ohio. This article noted that some college students expect their professors to respond quickly and can be judged for their timing in their responses. One survey on the subject of email responses found that “two-thirds” of people responding to the survey said they tend to ignore many emails together. The author said that when he was an administrator for a period of time he could not leave the office until all email was answered. There is a term mentioned in the article called “digital snubbery”. It goes on to say that you most likely wouldn’t just pass someone in the hallway without some kind of recognition, and if you did somehow not wave or say hello you would later offer an apology. Usually when seeing someone along your way you stop to have a conservation. In ignoring a personal email you have not responded to contact as it would in not stopping for a meet up, that is digital snubbery. Toward the end of the article it is mentioned in the area of college emails they should limit “unnecessary emails” and “make answering emails part of their culture”. Something simple will work like “thanks” or “I’ll get back to you”, something simple but none the less a response
Now it is time to consider dinner time....something from the freezer or a box or DoorDash or cook.
Photos in my life today
My first upload is “a pop of color”. I was looking all around as I was our and about today. I finally ended up using this fallen over safety sign over. The orange stands out so much.
The next challenge was another of “my choice” and another of my “mirror image” series. I used an image of some of the morning glories on our chain link fence.
The last challenge is “a world a day” for my offering a pink carnation among some white daisies.
Joy
the bonus image white dasies to Fine Art America
want to shop? Visit: fineartamerica.com search for joy rector click on “view shop” and redbubble.com search for jarector (and take a look at flickr.com search for rectorjoyce)







No comments:
Post a Comment